Industry

DMP set to purchase 15 types of ‘cyber arms’

DHAKA, May 23, 2017 (BSS) - Against the backdrop of a rising trend of cyber crimes, Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) is going to purchase 15 types of digital equipments, what it called 'cyber arms', aimed at strengthening capability to fight the menace effectively.

"Nowadays, the trend of crimes has changed in the local and international arenas as the militants and terrorists are using modern equipments in committing crimes. Some of the criminals are now using computer networks to this end. So, the police should be equipped with the highest technology to fight such crimes effectively," said DMP Commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia.

"We will ensure the use of the highest and modern technology as the more police use modern technologies the more they will be equipped to fight cyber crimes effectively," he said, adding that their aim is to strengthen the DMP with modern equipment to make the capital free from crimes.

The DMP is planning to purchase cyber guardian, real time location based social net monitoring system, IP analyzer, hacking and intrusion software, different types of ultra-modern scanners, sketch based image retrieval system, face construction tools and such other 'cyber arms'.

Under the digitalization project, the DMP has already taken initiatives to equip it with vehicle management system software, CCTV monitoring, mobile tracking system, e-traffic prosecution process, pay role management, city surveillance system, CIMS, archiving software and modern media management.

Besides, the DMP is planning to purchase crime scene van, communications and interception and monitoring solution, modern luggage scanner, personal scanner, and equipment for real time monitoring centre, modern reagent for identifying finger and foot prints, and IP trapper.

Police have already purchased property trucking software, hidden camera for intelligence work, frequency jammer, mobile tracker, portable exclusive dictator, mobile video surveillance equipment, CDR analyzer, and endoscopy door camera.

The cases and allegations of cyber crimes have increased day by day. Most of the cases to this end were lodged under section 57 of the ICT Act. The lone Cyber Tribunal has started its activities in the capital with three cases in 2013.

The tribunal got 32 cases in 2014, 152 cases in 2015 and over 150 cases in 2016 for the trail. Over 300 cyber cases are currently under investigation.

"A total of 500 cases are now waiting for trail at the Cyber Tribunal. Verdicts in 60-65 cases have already been delivered. The rate of punishment in the cases at the tribunal is 30-35 percents. The rest of the cases are under trial," said counsel of the Cyber Tribunal Nazrul Islam.

"The allegations of cyber crimes have increased geometrically. Most of the allegations are of account hacking. But only 30 percent of the complainants file cases while the rest of 70 percent do not file cases mainly for avoiding harassment and settlement between the complainants and the accused," said ADC Nazmul Islam of Cyber Crime Unit of the DMP.

Source: Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)