A fire broke out at Safipur Bazar in Gazipur ‘s Kaliakair upazila on Friday noon.
Although no casualties were reported, fire gutted 14 shops, said fire service sources.
According to the shop owners, fire broke out at Latif Hossain’s shop and quickly spread to the other shops.
Locals tried to bring the fire under control but as they failed, they informed the fire service.
Saiful Islam, in-charge of Kaliakair Fire Service, said that two units of the fire service reached the spot and brought the fire under control after an hour of effort.
Initially, it was suspected that the fire could have been caused by an electrical short circuit. However, the cause of the fire and the extent of damage will be ascertained after an investigation, he said.
Meanwhile, the affected traders claimed that the amount of loss caused by the fire is about Tk 1 crore.
Source: United News of Bangladesh