Patients suffer as MAG Osmani Hospital interns resume strike


Medical services at Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College and Hospital have been disrupted since Tuesday afternoon as interns of the hospital resumed strike protesting the attack on two interns by the relatives of a patient.

The interns resumed strike around 5 pm hours after suspending their movement after a meeting with the administration and hospital authorities.

Meanwhile, two separate complaints were lodged—one by the hospital authorities and another by the college authorities– with Kotwali Model Police in connection with the attack, said Mohammad Ali, officer-in-charge of Kotwali Model Police Station.

During the meeting, the hospital authorities assured of meeting their five demands. Later the interns decided to continue their strike as no initiative was taken to arrest three other identified attackers.

Dr. Matiur Rahman, general secretary of Intern Chikitshak Parishad of the hospital, said they will continue their strike until the arrest of all culprits involved in the attack and visible steps are taken for the security of the interns.

On Sunday, two relatives of a patient misbehaved with a female medical intern at the hospital. They were later handed over to the police.

To take revenge, relatives of the patient entered the college campus and stabbed two intern doctors—Emon Ahmed, 24 and Rudra Nath, 22— on Monday night.

On Monday, at 10 pm, all intern doctors of the hospital suspended their services and announced to go on strike until all the attackers were arrested. They closed all the hospital gates and took position on the main road in front of it creating a blockade.

They also confined the director of the hospital Brig. General Mahbubur Rahman Bhuiya to his room for one hour in the early hours of Tuesday.

Earlier, in the day, the interns suspended their movement around 3 am on Tuesday and threatened to go for movement again if their demand goes unheeded by 2 pm on today.

Around 1 pm, police arrested two people—Syed Hasan Rabbi, 27, general secretary of no 3 ward of Sylhet Metropolitan unit Chhatra League and Ehsan Ahmed, 22.

However, the protesting students claimed that the two arrestees were not present during the attack.

Source: United News of Bangladesh