The deadly coronavirus has affected 156 countries and territories around the world and one international conveyance (the Diamond Princess cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan).
Bangladesh has also reported five cases – three on March 8 and two on March 14. Four of the victims have returned from Italy and Germany. There is no local or community transmission of any Covid-19 case in the country.
Many Bangladeshi expatriates have returned from the corona-hit countries in recent days and they have been kept in home-quarantine.
Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) on Sunday said a total of 2,314 people have been home-quarantined and 10 others isolated in different districts across the country.
Under such circumstances, the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) has urged people coming from abroad to follow some directives while in quarantine.
The directives include:
1. Keeping distance from other house inmates (approximately one metre or 3 feet) and using separate beds
2. Living in a separate room with enough ventilation facilities
3. Using separate washroom or toilet (if possible) and if not possible keeping windows of the washroom open for ensuring the passage of air and daylight
4. Using mask and properly cleaning hands while breastfeeding
5. Not allowing any pet or animal at home
6. Using mask while going outside or meeting house inmates within one metre
7. Refraining from touching mask while in use and changing it instantly in case of cough and cold, dumping the used mask in a covered bin and washing hands properly.
8. Not sharing personal materials with others
9. Using separate plate, glass, cup, towel and bed sheet and keeping those clean properly
10. Keeping contact with others using phone, mobile phone and internet during quarantine period
11. Providing adequate toys to children and sterilising those after the play
12. Maintaining the daily routine
13. Doing office work from home
14. Making one busy in reading, listening song, watching movies and other recreational work
15. Assigning a nurse who is not suffering from diabetics, high blood pressure, cancer and asthma
16. The nurse should refrain from touching anything with bare hands
17. Washing hands as much as one needs
18. Burning down leftovers of quarantined people instead of dumping those in an open place
19. Keeping house clean using bleaching powder
20. Keeping dirty clothes in a laundry bag
The DGHS also urged people to contact the IEDCR through its hotline numbers if any symptom of coronavirus like fever, coughing, cold and respiratory problem is seen during quarantine.
Source: United News of Bangladesh