Saudi Arabia raised the number of Hajj pilgrims from inside and outside the kingdom to one million in 2022, authorities announced in a statement on Saturday.
The statement comes after two years of cancellations and restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Hajj is open to those who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and are under the age of 65, added the statement.
Pilgrims travelling from abroad will also need to have a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before their departure for Saudi Arabia, the statement said.
The decision seeks to allow the largest number of pilgrims to take part in the Hajj, while preserving the health gains achieved by the Kingdom in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic, the ministry said.
The increase will be according to the quotas allocated to countries, taking into account health recommendations.
Last year, 58,745 pilgrims performed Hajj because of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to official data.
Before the pandemic, some 2.5 million people would travel every year to Saudi Arabia for Hajj.
Source: United News of Bangladesh