Britain’s Prince Charles is facing more questions over his charities after a newspaper reported that one of his funds accepted a 1 million pound ($1.2 million) donation from relatives of Osama bin Laden.
The Sunday Times reported that the Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund received the money in 2013 from Bakr bin Laden, patriarch of the large and wealthy Saudi family, and his brother Shafiq. Both are half-brothers of the former al-Qaida leader, who was killed by U.S. special forces in Pakistan in 2011.
The newspaper said advisers had urged the heir to the throne not to take the donation.
Also read: Prince Charles’ wife Camilla tests positive for COVID-19
Charles’ Clarence House office disputed that but confirmed the donation had been made. It said the decision to accept the money was taken by the charity’s trustees, not the prince, and “thorough due diligence was undertaken in accepting this donation.”
The fund’s chairman, Ian Cheshire, also said the donation was agreed “wholly” by the five trustees at the time, and “any attempt to suggest otherwise is misleading and inaccurate.”
The Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund was founded in 1979 to “transform lives and build sustainable communities,” and gives grants to a wide variety of projects in Britain and around the world.
Charles, 73, has faced a series of claims about the operation of his charities. Last month the Sunday Times reported he had accepted bags of cash containing $3 million from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the former prime minister of Qatar.
Also read: Prince Philip wasn’t really looking forward to centenary
London police are currently investigating a separate allegation that people associated with another of the prince’s charities, the Prince’s Foundation, offered to help a Saudi billionaire secure honors and citizenship in return for donations. Clarence House has said Charles had no knowledge of any such offer.
Source: United News of Bangladesh
Neymar Jr.: The Brazilian football star is in danger of facing jail time
Controversies have never left Neymar behind ever since his arrival in Europe. The Brazilian star footballer has always made the headlines, but most of the time for a negative reason since his transfer from Brazilian club Santos to Spanish giant FC Barcelona back in 2013. One of the most talked-about controversies surrounding Neymar is his defrauding of DIS, a company that owned 40% of the rights to the footballer at the time of his transfer to the Catalan club. The investigation regarding Neymar’s transfer to Barcelona started in January 2014. After more than eight years, the final trial is to be staged on October 17 this year, reported El PAIS.
What is the reason behind Neymar’s trial at Barcelona’s court?
Ten years ago, Neymar Jr. was the most sought-after footballer for the European giants. Major European clubs fought hard to acquire Neymar. But it was FC Barcelona who eventually won the race to sign the Brazilian young star in 2013. Neymar did not let Barcelona down. He helped the Catalan giants to win the 2015 Champions League and multiple other domestic and international tournaments by showing his magnificent footballing abilities on the field.
Read: Neymar to start in unchanged Brazil team to face Costa Rica
Neymar came to Paris Saint-Germain in 2017 to escape Argentina’s Lionel Messi’s shadow after spending four fruitful years at Barcelona. Despite switching the teams, there have always been issues with Barcelona due to a number of legal matters. When Neymar penned a new contract with Barcelona in 2016, it included a sizable incentive. However, the footballer alleged that Barcelona did not offer him the incentive when he transferred to PSG in 2017. The Catalan club was sued by Neymar for failing to pay him 46.3 million euros. The player was counter-sued by Barcelona for contract violations. Later, the situation was resolved when the two sides were able to come to an amicable settlement.
However, the biggest saga is Neymar’s signing for Barcelona from Santos in 2013. He is accused of fraud and corruption by the DIS, a Brazilian company that owned 40% of Neymar’s rights back then.
DIS claimed that Neymar’s contract had irregularities. Both Barcelona and the player’s entourage had left them feeling cheated. According to the Catalan club, Neymar’s transfer cost was 57.1 million euros. Of the 17.1 million euros given to Santos, 6.8 million went to the DIS. The DIS believed they had received far less than they should have as the exact transfer cost was concealed.
Read Trophee des Champions 2022: Messi, Neymar likely to start for PSG against Nantes
The prosecutor’s office is seeking to get a 10-million-euro fine in addition to a two-year jail sentence for Neymar Jr. However, according to several reports, the company wants the player to serve five years in prison and ban him from football for the same time period. The legal battle over Neymar’s fraudulent financial transfer to Barcelona has been going on for years, and according to El PAIS, the final trial will be held on October 17 at the Barcelona court. The timing of the trial is quite bizarre, as the 2022 Qatar World Cup will begin in mid-November.
Whether Neymar Jr. will be sentenced to jail for defrauding the investment fund DIS will be known in the coming October. Neymar’s transfer to Barcelona has already been regarded as one of the most contentious. It would likely be the biggest transfer penalty in football history if the player, his family, and the former president of Barcelona were proven guilty of any wrongdoing relating to the transfer and given jail time and financial penalties. It would also be a huge blow for Brazil if Neymar were to be put on trial just before the World Cup in 2022, something their endless worldwide fans are not expecting.
Source: United News of Bangladesh