Government Policy

Police arrest seven Biman staff over PM’s aircraft glitch

DHAKA, Dec 22, 2016 (BSS) - Police overnight arrested seven staff of Biman Bangladesh Airlines in a case filed over the emergency landing of a flight, carrying Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to Budapest on November 27.

"Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police arrested last night the accused from different areas of the capital city," Additional Deputy Commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (media) Mohammad Yusuf Ali told BSS.

He said the arrestees are Chief Engineer (Production) Debesh Chowdhury, Chief Engineer (Inspection and Quality Assurance) S A Siddique, Principal Engineer (MCC) Billal Hossain, Engineer Officer Samiul Haque, Engineer Officer Lutfor Rahman, Engineer Officer Milon Chandra Biswas, Engineer Officer Zakir Hossain.

"They are now being quizzed by the CTTC," Ali said.

Earlier, the national flag carrier Biman suspended nine of its officials, including the seven arrestees, on charges of negligence in duty that caused a VVIP flight carrying Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to make an emergency landing in Turkmenistan.

The two other accused placed under suspension are Engineer Officer S M Rokonuzzaman and Technician Siddiqur Rahman.

Biman management took the decision following on receipt of the final report prepared by a four-member investigation team formed by the national flag carrier.

The committee submitted the report to the Biman's chief executive officer on December 12.

Apart from Biman, the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Civil Aviation Authority, Bangladesh (CAAB) formed two separate committees to probe the incident which also submitted their reports to the ministry.

The special VVIP flight (BG1011) "Ranga Pravat" carrying the premier and 99 passengers including her entourage, four cockpit crew, 20 cabin crew and four aircraft engineers left Dhaka for the Hungarian capital at 9.14 am on November 27.

The flight was forced to make the emergency landing at Ashgabat International Airport in the Turkmenistan capital, at 2.15 pm Bangladesh time by changing its route due to technical glitches in its engine.

After arrival at Ashgabat, the on-duty engineers fixed the fault and the special VVIP flight departed for Budapest after over four hours of unscheduled stopover.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina went to Budapest on a four-day bilateral visit in conjunction with Budapest Water Summit 2016 at the invitation of Hungarian President Dr Janos Ader.

Source: Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)