General

Mother, her 2 kids burnt to death from mosquito coil in Ctg

A mother and her two kids were burnt to death and another critically injured in a fire from a mosquito coil at Syedpara area in city’s East Shahidnagar-Oxygen More under Bayazid Thana here today.

The deceased were identified as Nurunnahar Begum, 35, wife of Md Manik hailed from East Shahidnagar area, her son Md Maruf, one year and daughter Fariza Akter(3).

Nurul Alam Ashik, Assistant Sub-Inspector, posted at Chattogram Medical College Hospital (CMCH) said, the injured persons succumbed to their injuries while undergoing treatment at the burn unit of the CMCH this noon.

Ferdous Jahan, Officer-in-Charge of Bayezid Bostami police station said the fire originated from a mosquito coil in a slum house of Tota Miah around 4.30am and it engulfed two other adjacent shanties within few minutes.

Having information, police rushed to the spot, rescued four people and sent them to the CMCH, he said.

Md Kamruzzaman, Senior Station Officer of Bayazid fire station said that the fire broke out from a mosquito coil at about 4.30 am at the tin-shed slum house. Two firefighting units rushed to the spot and doused the fire at about 5.20 am.

Another injured Imam Uddin Md Emon was discharged after giving first aid, Dr Rafiq Uddin, Head of CMCH burn unit said.

Dr Rafiq Uddin Ahmed told BSS that Nurunnahar and her two children died from their injuries while undergoing treatment with 90 percent burnt injury at the hospital at about 1.30pm.

Source: Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha