Medical &Health

Martyrdom of FF Subedar Major Jainul Abedin in Khulna

M Jainul Abedin, Subeder Major of the then East Pakistan Army joined the freedom fight at the very beginning and embraced martyrdom during fierce battle at Khulna Radio Station (Bangladesh Betar Khulna Center) on April 3 in 1971.

Liberation war Commander of Muzib Bahini (BLF) in Greater Khulna Sk.

Quamruzzaman Tuku,72, in an exclusive interview with BSS, has given the description of fights against the Pakistani army at the Radio Station.

"After the crackdown in Dhaka by the Pakistani Army, we called upon

students, workers and mass people to barricade with logs, bricks and stones different roads including the Khulna-Dhaka highway and the Railway lines to stop the invaders," Tuku said.

A total of 216 convoys of the Pakistani Army marched towards Khulna on March 29, 1971, set up camps at several places and occupied the Khulna Radio Station at Gallyamari area, two kilometers away from the Khulna city.

"We made a plan in a meeting at Naihati School under Rupsha Thana in presence of Major M A Zalil, sector commander-9, Subedar Major M Jainul Abedin and others Liberation War organizers in the region on March 31, 1971," he said.

It was the midnight on April 3, 1971, as many as 250 Freedom Fighters led by Subedar Major Jainul Abedin attacked the Radio Station from their ambushes from three directions except the North. "An FF group led by me also fired at the Pakistani Army. Student leaders Zahidur Rahman Zahid, Mossarraf Hossain, Habib and Moslem, among others, were with us," he said.

While giving a description of the night, Tuku said in another group led by Jainul Abedin and several Freedom Fighters, however, went close to the Radio Station.

Subedar Major Jainul Abedin was trying hard to block several army convoys advancing towards the Radio Station. Ultimately, he fought with utmost courage near City College dormitory area killing several Pakistani soldiers and destroying their convoys until embracing martyrdom while the Sun was peeping out of the horizon spreading its glow in the sky.

With tears, Tuku said two co-fighter Habib and Moslem of my team also embraced martyrdom at that night.

The FF group continued battle for more two hours and one stage they left the scene.

The brave son of the soil subedar Major Jainul Abedin was buried where he was killed while Habib and Moslem were buried at his family graveyard at Bagerhat, he said.

Freedom Fighters of Khulna, however, were very upset with the martyrdom of Subedar Major Jainul Abedin, Habib and Moslem but did not lose their hearts. They met again in their headquarters at Naihati High School under Rupsha upazila and take oath for more battles until they achieve the cherished independence.

"The battle at Khulna Radio Station remains as a glorious chapter in our history of great Liberation War," Tuku said.

Source: Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)