Literacy

Fire at BB brought under control

DHAKA, Mar 23, 2017 (BSS) - A fire broke out at Bangladesh Bank (BB) headquarters in the capital's Motijheel area last night, but fire fighters doused the blaze after frantic effort for around 40 minutes while officials said inspections were underway for assessment of damages.

"Seventy firefighters of 12 units of the fire services doused the fire at around 10:10pm, which was originated on the 13th floor of the 32-story building of the central bank's headquarters at around 9:30 pm," Director General (DG) of Fire Service and Civil Defence Brig Gen Ali Ahmed Khan told reporters.

A five-member committee has been formed to investigate into the fire incident, he said adding that the committee would submit a report soon.

Finance Minister AMA Muhith, central bank governor Fazle Kabir and Dhaka Metropolitan Police Commissioner Md. Asaduzzaman Mia rushed to spot to see the damages caused by the fire incident.

Briefing on the incident at the central bank's premises, the fire services DG said that the fire might have been originated from an electrical short circuit, but the real reasons could be ascertained by the inquiry committee.

He said the initial findings showed damages of some documents and UPS on the 13th floor of the 32-story building of the central bank, which housed the BB's foreign exchange policy department.

The office of the governor is situated in the adjacent old building of the central bank.

BB Deputy Governor Abu Hena Md Razi Hasan told BSS that the fire was originated inside the office room of the general manager of the foreign exchange policy department.

Source: Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)