Government Policy

Buet student Fardin died after jumping off bridge, Rab says

Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) student Fardin Noor Parash died after jumping off Sultana Kamal Bridge, Rab has said.


Commander Khandaker Al Moin, legal and media wing director of Rab, disclosed the information at a press conference at Rab headquarters around over one month after the body of the student was recovered from the Shitalakhkhya river on November 7.


On November 4, the day he went missing, Fardin dropped off his girlfriend Amatullah Bushra, a 3rd year student of East West University who is now in jail, in Rampura around 9pm.


After that he went to a bridge in Keraniganj and then to Johnson Road, Gulistan and Jatrabari respectively till 2am.


Then he went to Sultana Kamal Bridge around 2:34 am. He was alone on the bridge till 2:37am, the Rab official said.


Read more: It’s disappointing, no headway in probe in a month, says Fardin’s father


Police recovered Fardin’s body from the Shitalakhkhya river, behind a cotton mill at Siddhirganj, on November 7, three days after he went missing.


Fardin jumped off the bridge after roaming around in Dhaka, the Rab officer said, adding they scrutinized his whereabouts.


The Rab officer said they tightened intelligence surveillance to figure out the reason behind the death.


He said they submitted all relevant documents including CCTV footage and digital footprints to the investigation officer of the case on Wednesday.


The victim’s father filed a murder case against some unidentified people at Rampura police station on November 9.


Read more: Fardin Noor Parash died by suicide: DB


On the following day, police arrested Bushra from her residence in connection with the death.


Earlier on Wednesday, Additional Commissioner (Detective Branch) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Mohammad Harunur Rashid at a press conference at the DB office in the capital said the Buet student died by suicide.


The DB chief said they scrutinized the footage of Fardin’s movement before his death.


Sheikh Farhad, a physician at Narayanganj General Hospital where the autopsy was done, said there were several injury marks on Fardin’s head and body.


Source: United News of Bangladesh