Judicial

60-yr-old Bangladeshi woman dies in Kolkata guest house fire

A 60-year-old Bangladeshi woman was charred to death while two others sustained injuries in a major fire that broke out at a guest house in the eastern Indian city of Kolkata early on Saturday morning.

The blaze started at the reception on the second floor of the guest house in Mirza Ghalib Street at 4am and soon engulfed 11 rooms in the building, officials said.

“Some 28 Bangladeshi nationals were staying at the guest house at the time of the fire. While the elderly woman died in the fire, the two other Bangladeshi nationals have been hospitalised with injuries,” a senior Kolkata Police officer told the local media.

The deceased was identified as Samimatul Begum, the officer said.

A Kolkata Fire Service official said that three tenders took nearly two hours to contain the blaze. “The 11 rooms were completely gutted in the fire,” he said.

An electrical short-circuit seemed to have triggered the deadly fire, the official said. “Anyway, a probe has been ordered and we will also check if the guest house had fire safety clearance from the department.”

Fires are common at guest houses and small hotels in India because of lax enforcement of inferno safety regulations.

Source: United News of Bangladesh