Twenty-two shops were gutted in a fire which broke out at Kanaipur Bazar in Sadar upazila on Tuesday night.
Fire service sources said the fire originated from an electric short circuit at a shop around 9:20pm and it spread to adjoining ones.
On information, five firefighting units went to the spot and extinguished the blaze after two hours of frantic efforts, said Belayet Hossain, chairman of Kanaipur union parishad.
Affected shop owners claimed that the extent of loss caused by the fire would be about Tk 2 crore.
SOURCE: UNITED NEWS OF BANGLADESH