Fifteen hundred and forty-four more Rohingyas of 507 families, from the Ukhia Rohingya camp in Cox’s Bazar, have left for Bhasan Char in the 13th phase.
Superintendent of Police Naimul Haque, commander of APBN Battalion-14, confirmed this Wednesday.
The Rohingyas are scheduled to arrive at Bhasan Char Thursday.
He said 1,022 Rohingyas in the first phase and 522 in the second headed towards Bhasan Char island in Noakhali on the second day of the 13th phase.
Tuesday, 1,999 Rohingyas left Cox’s Bazar for Bhasan Char on 39 buses from Ukhia Degree College ground, said Additional Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner Mohammad Shamsud Douza Nayan.
So far, around 26,000 Rohingyas have been moved to Bhasan Char following the government’s decision to relocate 1 lakh Rohingyas to the island, he added.
Bangladesh is now hosting over 1.1 million Rohingyas in Cox’s Bazar and Bhasan Char.
Most of them came on August 25, 2017, when the Myanmar military launched a brutal offensive targeting the Muslim ethnic minorities.
Source: United News of Bangladesh