Medical &Health

Plice arrests 13 over Faridpur violence

A total of 13 people were arrested and around 4000 people were sued in connection with the clashes between police and local people in Saltha upazila of Faridpur district on the first day of lockdown.

Police filed a case against some 4,000 people allegedly for the April 5 arson attack on public offices in Saltha upazila of Faridpur district. Sub Inspector (SI) Mizanur Rahaman filed the case with Saltha Police station on Wednesday morning.

Officer- in- charge of Saltha police Station Asikuzzaman confirmed it adding that a drive is underway to nab the culprits who ransacked , vandalized and torched different government offices and spread rumors among the locality on Monday night.

Two probe committees of six members were also formed by district administration, headed by ADM Taslima Ali and ADC (revenue) Md. Aslam Molla to investigate the matter.

The probe committees will submit the report within three working days, the OC said.

Police said a mob chased Assistant Commissioner (Land) Marufa Sultana Hiramoni when she visited Fukra Bazar to enforce lockdown rules, issued by the government, at around 6:30 pm on Monday.

Hiramoni left the place immediately and informed the matter to Saltha Police Station.

When a police force went to the spot, some agitated people swooped over the police and attacked them, injuring SI Mizanur Raham badly.

A vested quarter spread a rumor saying Akram Ali, principal of a local Madrasha was picked up by police and killed.

Responding to the rumor agitated people took to the street and torched different government offices and establishments. Police fired tear gas , bullets and sound grenade to bring the situation under control. The violence left one dead and around 20 injured including 8 police members.

The dead was identified as Zobayer Ali,22, son of Asraf Ali of Ramkantopur village in Saltha.

SP Md. Alimuzzaman said , the situation is now under control.

Source: Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS)