General

Newspaper office attacked in Narayanganj for carrying Taqi murder news

A group of armed men attacked a newspaper office in Narayanganj city for running a news story on Tanwir Muhammad Taqi murder.

The incident happened at Dainik Somoyer Narayanganj office in Chasara Saturday.

Arif Hossain Kanak, a staff reporter of the newspaper, said: “Over 100 people on motorcycles stormed into our office around 12:15pm.”

“Entering the office, they started to verbally abuse us and wanted to know why our lead news – ‘What was the draft charge sheet about’ – was published Friday.”

“They also threatened to burn our office down and shoot the editor, if we do not issue an apology in the newspaper within tomorrow,” Arif added.

Hafiz Uddin, the security guard of the newspaper, said: “All of a sudden over 100 people started entering the office. As I had tried to stop them, they threatened to kill me.”

Jabed Ahmed Jewel, publisher and editor of Dainik Somoyer Narayanganj, said: “On February 11, we published news on the draft charge sheet issued by Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) over Tanwir Muhammad Taqi murder. We presented the draft charge sheet as it is and did not make a single change. However, the attackers smashed the CCTV cameras of our office and took away the hard disk of a PC.”

Narayanganj Superintendent of Police Zaidul Alam said: “We have been informed of the incident and are looking into it. Police officers went to the spot. ”

Taqi, 17, a meritorious boy went missing after leaving his Shaista Khan Road home on March 6, 2013.

On March 8, his body was found floating on the River Shitalakhya. Taqi’s father Rabbi filed a murder case at Narayanganj Kotwali Police Station the same day.

On March 18, he submitted a complaint to the superintendent of police accusing seven persons, including Shamim Osman, and 8-10 unnamed others.

The home ministry on June 20, 2013, handed over the case to Rab upon a High Court order following an appeal by Rabbi.

So far, law enforcers have arrested five people in connection with the murder. Two of them, Yousuf and Sultan, gave confessional statements before the magistrate.

In his statement on November 12, 2013, Sultan said Ajmeri Osman, the son of late Jatiya Party MP Nasim Osman, led the killing of Taqi.

However, sixteen days later, he appealed to the magistrate seeking withdrawal of his statement.

All of the arrestees are currently out of jail on bail.

Source: United News of Bangladesh