A farmer in Khulna’s Koyra upazila was electrocuted to death Wednesday night by an electric rat trap installed in a rice field.
The deceased was identified as Khokon Morol, 45, son of Ismail Morol of the upazila.
Locals of village Gazinagar in Bagali union found the body in the rice field of Raja Badshah, son of Rafiqul Gazi, Thursday morning and informed the police.
Rafiqul installed an electric rat trap to protect his rice field from the infestation of rats, they said.
Wednesday night, Khokon was electrocuted as he stepped on the live wire of the rat trap in the rice field while walking in the darkness, said Ibrahim Hossain, sub-inspector of Amadi Police Camp. “On information, police recovered the body.”
The use of electric traps for rat control is not recommended as they are too risky to use and can cause the death of animals and people in rice fields.
Source: United News of Bangladesh