A woman, who sustained burn injury after a fire broke out at a house in Uttar Kattoli area, died at Chattogram Medical College and Hospital on Monday.
The deceased was identified as Piara Begum, 45.
Piara Begum, who received 60 percent burn injury, breathed her last around 12:45 pm, said Zahirul Islam, in-charge of Chattogram Medical College and Hospital.
Piara and eight of her family members sustained burn injuries as a fire broke out in a fl a t of four-storey Mariam Building at Uttar Kattoli under Akbar Shah area when all of them were asleep early Monday, said Zahir Hossain, officer-in-charge of Akbar Shah Police Station.
The injured are Mizanur Rahman, 42, Saiful Islam, 25, Bibi Sultana, 36, Manha, 2, Maher, 8, Riaz, 22, Zahan, 21 and Sumaiya, 18.
On information, a firefighting unit rushed to the spot and took the victims to the burn unit of Chattogram Medical College and Hospital.
Of the injured, the condition of three people is critical, said Dr Rafique Uddin, head of the Burn Unit of Chattogram Medical College and Hospital.
Zahirul Islam, in-charge of Chattogram Medical College and Hospital, said all the victims were admitted to the burn unit of the hospital.
The throats of all the victims were burnt, he said.
Of the victims, Mizanur received 48 percent burn injuries; Saifur 22 percent, Sultana 20 percent, Manha 20 percent, Riaz, 18 percent, Zahan 12 percent, Maher five percent and Sumaiya 15 percent.
Deputy Commissioner Mohammad Ilias visited the spot and hospital to inquire about the victims.
A probe body headed by Additional District Magistrate h a s been formed to investigate the incident and the committee has been asked to submit its report within seven working days.
However, fire service sources said the fire might have originated from an electric short circuit.
Source: United News of Bangladesh